I told you! You never believed me!

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Double Tadka !!

Whew! Its Tuesday again, and the designated day for Chaman to cook. Before we left office he made it a point to remind me - "oye, I have to cook today. so u better take me to a grocery store."

We believe in the concept of cyclic cooking. Well it basically means, that one person cooks and all the others eat. So since we are six, each one has been assigned a day he has to churn out his culinary masterpieces while the remaining will just eat. And ya, saturday is an off day. None is responsible to cook that day, but u can always volunteer :-)

I left him to his means while I went to the nearby DVD rental store to exchange the two old titles for new ones. I met a beaming Chaman in the grocery store as he said - "I have taken all vegetables, what do you want to eat today". My reply - "something edible". He looked at me for sometime as if I was an alien from a far off galaxy and then shrugged it off. "Yaar, why does Tuesday come so quickly".

Two hours later, the doorbell rang. It was our very own Chef-du-jour with a pressure cooker in his hand and announced - "Daal is ready". On asking him what with that he gave me a puzzled look and cool-ly answered - "Why, rice... what else?". "U mean, just rice and daal" - I shot back. To that he replied - "Todays daal is special, its Double Tadka Daal". Ewww!!!! Now what in the lord's name is a DTD(Double Tadka Daal) ?

Looking at my expression he relucatantly agreed to make some side dish. Imagine my horror when I checked back after 30 minutes to see a plate of scrambled eggs (probably 4 eggs for 6 people).

This is laziness at its heights.. not only am I (we ?) tolerating this, but we are not doing anything to rescue ourselves from the dinner@debacle.com that happens most of the time. And to think that these cooks are the same married-bachelors who used to cook reasonably well before they got married. If you comment something on the food, back comes a retort - "be thankful my wife is not cooking.. at least you are able to eat this".

God bless us all. and yes, "Why does Tuesday come so quickly?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home